There are so many varieties of apples and pears available today it’s hard to remember what each variety tastes like and what each is good for. Find out a little more about these great varieties:
An Apple for Every Reason
• Granny Smith – Crisp and tart with hints of sweetness, Granny Smith Apples are excellent eaten fresh or for salads, sauces, poaching and all types of baking.
• Braeburn – With rich flavors and firm, yet juicy flesh, Braeburn Apples are a great choice for snacking, pies, salads, sauces and baking.
• Golden Delicious – A crisp apple with extremely mellow flavors and light acidity, Golden Delicious Apples make for an excellent baking apple and is a favorite choice when making applesauce.
• Pink Lady – The balanced sweet-tart flavor with a hint of effervescence and firm texture make Pink Lady Apples great for eating, salads and baking.
• Fuji – Perhaps the sweetest of all apple varieties, Fuji Apples have a crisp, juicy texture and pleasant aroma. They are excellent for fresh eating, pies, sauces and baking.
• Honeycrisp – This exceptionally crisp and juicy apple is best for fresh eating or sliced over salads. The Honeycrisp Apple season is quickly coming to an end so come in today and get what you can, while you can!
Know Your Pears
• Anjou – Egg-shaped with a wide neck, Anjou Pears have a brisk flavor and light acidity. They pair well with soft goat cheeses and Pinot Gris.
• Red Anjou – This pear variety has crisp flavor, light acidity and firm flesh. It pairs well with aged white cheddar and Pinot Gris or Chardonnay.
• Bosc – Large with a long, skinny neck, Bosc Pears have a rich, spicy flavor. Pairs well with Manchego cheese and Riesling.